Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The devil discovered on Bourbon Street

Last semester in my Philosophy class, my professor said that all forms of moral restraint in American culture comes from Puritanism. While I don’t necessarily believe that, I don’t think it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that the Puritans would not approve of Mardi Gras’s seeming lack of morality. If anything, Mardi Gras would be seen as another extension of the devil’s influence, another trail set forth to prove their predestined salvation.
Though there are no Puritans left to ask, their bizarre descendents were out in full force on Mardi Gras night. Anyone who has ever been down in the quarter has seen the groups of men carrying signs reading, “repent or burn” and makeshift crosses. By the end of Mardi Gras, I had a pocketful of cards telling me what a despicable human being I was and despite what a wretched life I have lived Jesus still was considering not sentencing me to an eternal hell, which for me, would have just been an eternity on Bourbon Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment