Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Christopherson, Any Women Up for Social Climbing?





First I must admit I am somewhat biased to begin with for a few reasons. I think that Louisa May Alcott is one of the most brilliant feminist writers of all time and absolutely exceptional and groundbreaking for her era. The second part is that I am somewhat cynical and jaded when it comes to this divine love and marriage that Margaret Fuller speaks ok. It is a rude world. I don't know how many times that must be proven until people finally lose all hope, but then again unfailing faith may be encoded into humans for a reason. Not everyone can become jaded and cynical. For me however, I tend to be somewhat weary when it comes to women's issues. I don't believe that women who want to make a way for themselve have it particularly easy. This is why I took so strongly to Jean Muir. She knows what she wants and she is going to go after it. She is extremely proactive in becoming equal with men in high society. Fuller on the otherhand seems to suggest waiting around and hoping that the perfect marriage will suddenly appear and the man will inherently see the woman as his equal. Personally I am not one to wait around and wait for perfect opportunities to come my way. That would be lovely, but is also highly highly unlikely in this nasty world we live in. Women, still today, have to fight for their respect and to make their way to the top. It's a sad fact of being a woman. Yet being a strong woman and going after your goals is much better than waiting around for divine love to come your way and make everything swell. Also of course Alcott is the better writer. Her writing is still so relevant to today's world it's uncanny. Every young girl and woman should read Little Women to gain some clairity about being a woman in this world.

1 comment:

  1. Having lived with the same man for more time than I can remember, I too am cynical about this divine love and marriage bit.

    ReplyDelete